But the butterflies occupied only 2.1 hectares in December 2020, compared with 2.8 hectares the previous winter season, the conservationist group WWF said in a statement. Climate change had a “considerable impact” on the butterflies’ migration pattern, as well as the reduction in their milkweed breeding habitat in the United States, the WWF said. Mexico’s western state of Michoacan is home to the country’s largest monarch butterfly reserve, typically a major tourist attraction. Visitors to the reserve have plummeted during the pandemic, sanctuary officials said.
According to researchers from WWF and the Zoological Society of London, the World has lost two-thirds of all wild animals and insects since the '70s.
- Earth has crossed its own tipping point and is creaking under the strain: Two-thirds of animals are now extinct since the 1970s! Climate changed forever! World population to hit 8 billion and accelerating
- Planet has crossed the tipping point
- Our planet is creaking under the strain
- In 2020 two thirds of all wild animals who once lived in the world are now dead according to WWF.
- The world's primates face an "extinction crisis" with more than 60% of species now threatened with extinction
- Unprecedented death of millions of tons of marine life around the world’s oceans and waterways
- NOAA and NASA claimed 2020 and 2016 the hottest years ever recorded on Earth and the last 10 years the hottest consecutive years ever
- 12 of the 13 warmest years ever recorded coming in the last 18 years.
In another report released by the journal Science Advances are claiming the world's primates face an "extinction crisis" with 60% of species now threatened with extinction, according to research. A global study, involving more than 30 scientists, assessed the conservation status of more than 500 individual species. This also revealed that 75% of species have populations that are declining. Add to this the unprecedented death of millions of tons of marine life around the world’s oceans and waterways all point to a crisis that has crossed the tipping point.
Post a Comment